Myronivka Territorial Community
The Myronivka Urban Territorial Community is located in the Rosava River Valley in the Obukhiv District of the Kyiv Region. The distance to Kyiv is 106 km.
Area: 166,7 km2
Population: 17,575 people
Employable population – 9,876 people
IDPs: 7,000 people
The Community includes the town of Myronivka and 39 villages.
The village of Myronivka was founded in the first half of the 17th century. During the Liberation Movement of Bohdan Khmelnytsky, the villagers joined the divisions headed by Ivan Bohun and Maksym Kryvonis. In early July 1648, Bohdan Khmelnytsky stationed his military camp near Myronivka on the banks of the Rosava River. In 1667, according to the Truce of Andrusivka, Myronivka remained under Polish rule, but the struggle against the Polish nobles did not end. In the early 18th century, Cossacks and peasants led by colonel Samus rose in rebellion and managed to defeat the Polish troops. However, after the Treaty of Prut was concluded, the Polish nobility returned here again.
Myronivka was the area where the armed struggle against the Polish oppression took place during the Koliivshchyna.
Myronivka became the property of Count Branickis in the late 18th century. The Branickis sold their land, along with the sugar factory, to the local government in 1869.
Life of Myronivka residents was closely connected with the sugar factory for more than 130 years. The majority of them worked there. The sugar factory was built by order of Countess Aleksandra Branicka in 1858. The railway station was constructed soon thereafter which contributed to the development of the town’s industrial sector. Foreign specialists were invited to work at the sugar factory.
A balneological resort has been operating in Myronivka since 1958. It is known for its healing radon water springs. The regional hospital successfully treats polyarthritis, rheumatism and other diseases.
The Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin is one of the oldest historical monuments in the Myronivka Community. It is a unique three-domed church with a bell tower. It was built in 1752 at the expense of the parishioners.
The Church of the Archangel Michael is located in the centre of the village of Shandry. Its history begins in 1755, when a wooden Orthodox church was built there on a steep hill. Then the village owners made it into a Greek Catholic church and appointed Uniate Andriy Kushchevych a priest. He supported the Haidamaks in 1768, during the Koliivshchyna, and he converted to Orthodoxy. The priest was captured and drowned in a pond for this act after the rebellion was suppressed.
The wooden church burned away in 1811. It was replaced by the present one twenty years later. It took 32 years to have it completed.
A beautiful single-domed church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin is preserved in the village of Vladyslavka. It was built at the expense of industrialist Mykhailo Korzhuyev in 1910. Slender and elegant, the church is an example of the historism style.
The Dryha Windmill is one of Ukraine’s most beautiful and best-preserved windmills. Located in the village of Pustovity, it is a popular tourist attraction. The windmill bears this name because it was built by a local peasant, Kuzma Dryha. He brought the windmill’s design from Holland in 1902
Economy and Welfare
The largest community enterprise is the Myronivka Plant for the Production of Cereals and Compound Feed. It is part of the MHP (Myronivsky Hliboproduct) Agro-Industrial Holding. MHP is Europe’s leading poultry producer and one of the strongest food brands in Ukraine. The company specializes in chicken and grain production, as well as the manufacture of sausages and ready-to-eat meat products.
The “Legko” Meat Processing Plant and the “Urozhay” Scientific and Production Company of the MHP Holding are also located in the community.
The “MHP to Community” Charitable Foundation actively supports the development of the town’s infrastructure and helps to implement socially important projects. Among them are children’s development centres, youth centres, support for small and relocated businesses, and other community improvement projects.
The building of a sports and wellness complex is a part of the national Big Construction programme. It will consist of a competitive sports hall and a wrestling hall, several gyms, and a recreation area.
Community and War
Like all Ukrainians not directly affected by the military actions, the Myronivka Community started volunteering and hosting internally displaced persons from the very first day.
More than nine thousand internally displaced persons were sheltered in the Myronivka Community in the first months. Currently, there are almost seven thousands of them. The Town Council established a crisis centre, which was transformed into a humanitarian hub. IDPs were provided with food, clothing, hygiene products, medicines, and psychological assistance.
The Community has established cooperation with international organizations. The volunteer movement is very strong here. The support for the Armed Forces of Ukraine is extensive – from knitting socks, weaving nets, making periscopes, dry borscht, stoves, trench candles to purchasing vehicles, equipment, and ammunition.
Everyone in the community donated from ten to several thousand hryvnias to help the Army. The people consider it their duty to support the soldiers on the front line as much as they can.
Despite the challenging war period, the outpatient department, some rooms of the surgical and therapeutic departments were repaired at the Myronivka hospital. The CT scanner was installed. Two apartments for IDP doctors were purchased from the budget funds. The hospital received artificial lung ventilation system and two monitors from the ADRA charitable organization.
Financial resources were provided for purchasing a vehicle for patient’s transportation. One vehicle was purchased for the Primary Health Care Centre.
The Town Council also pays special attention to local residents, including those who are seriously ill or in difficult circumstances. Totally, over UAH 2 million was provided for these needs in 2022.
Vitaliy Savenko, the Head of the Community, says:
– “We made a great effort to create the united territorial community. This work was not easy. The community has outlined certain priorities after consolidation. We want to establish a sustainable, successful and illustrative community.
People supported me in the elections, so I will personally make everything possible to improve the community and to develop it. If we achieve the results, other villages will join our Community. This is the main goal.”
Myronivka is also proud of the world-famous “Chornobryvets” folk song and dance ensemble. It was founded in 1970. Today, “Chornobryvets” is one of the best Ukrainian ensembles. It has given over 1,500 concerts in all over Ukraine and in 18 other countries.
The main principles of the Myronivka Community are as follows: transparency, partnership, individual approach to each citizen and comprehensive solution of the community’s problems; full trust and cooperation in the “community-business-science-government” chain and efficient use of available resources using the latest technologies. That is why the community highlighted the following strategic goals:
- Effective communication as a key to the collaborative community
1.1 Effective feedback between the authorities and the citizens
1.2 Ensuring activities of communication networks
1.3 Development of the community’s investment potential
- The community’s economic success based on the cluster model
2.1 Development of a resort and health cluster
2.2 Modern tools for supporting business and science
2.3 Effective tourist cluster activities
- Community welfare based on the principles of sustainable development
3.1 Construction of a comfortable and modern community
3.2 Environmentally safe community
3.3 Improving the quality of healthcare services
3.4 High-quality social and administrative services